Wednesday, March 31, 2010

offshore drilling = green energy?

As many of you know, US President Obama recently announced the energy plan that allows drilling along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the north coast of Alaska, which obviously receiving some (many) criticism from not only the environmentalists, but also Republicans. Do you remember when he was against offshore drilling before the 2008 election heat got him? I can easily imagine what changed his mind ($$$), but this massive oceanic environment destruction couldn't have indicated from his manifesto on offshore drilling released in late 2008. What Obama told CNN at the time was "I remain skeptical that new offshore drilling will bring down gas prices in the short-term or significantly reduce our oil dependence in the long-term, though I do welcome the establishment of a process that will allow us to make future drilling decisions based on science and fact" - so why would he? I see a sign of the repetition of (bad)history coming along from this decision...
[image from Cagle Cartoons]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, he rode the sentiments of Americans wanting "change." President Obama told people what they wanted to hear, I think. I think he over promised, raising people's expectations too high; but, I don't think he would've been elected if he didn't try to appeal to everyone. There are many interests that are at stake here. I am sure that he is under tremendous pressure from interests groups, and even his own party to compromise on issues. So, it's easy and simple to say that he didn't keep his promise; however, in the real world, if one wants to have a second term, he needs to compromise, sometimes back down, on campaign commitments regardless of how we feel about it. I'm still glad that I stuck to my "guns," and voted for the Green's Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home